Monday, June 13, 2022

My New Friend, "RICK" by Alex Gino

 

Me and my new friend, Rick by Alex Gino. A remarkable middle-grade novel in the same world as their outstanding book Melissa.

Hi. My name is Bobby Keniston, and my only friends are books. But with a friend like Rick, by Alex Gino, one can really learn that they belong to a whole community of friends. 

Rick is a middle-grade novel that follows a supporting character from Alex Gino's outstanding novel Melissa (yes, it was originally published as George, but Melissa is a much more appropriate title and I am glad they were able to change it). And like Melissa, I believe it is an important and necessary book, and continues to be more and more as each day passes. Let me introduce you...

HOW I MET MY NEW FRIEND

My friend Michelle is the youth librarian at my local library, and since I write plays for young people, I often ask her about good middle-grade and YA novels--- for one thing, I like to stay up-to-date on the market, but, even more honestly, I just really like reading middle-grade and YA fiction. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am not a snob about books for young people. I like to read a wide, diverse collection of books. 

And frankly, some children's and teen literature is just as, if not more important than much of the mainstream stuff published for adults. 

But I digress. 

My friend Michelle recommended Melissa by Alex Gino to me last year, and I read it and loved it. I highly recommend it. So this pride month, I wanted to read Rick, and I am glad that I did. 

ABOUT MY NEW FRIEND

As with their excellent middle-grade novel Melissa, Alex Gino creates a relatable, important read with Rick. Rick, who was a minor character in "Melissa" has been best friends with the mean Jeff for a long time, and often stays quiet when Jeff is being unkind to others, because, as we all know, it can be so hard to speak up.

But Rick is going through some changes. With the start of middle school, and his big sister moving out to go to college, Rick begins to have feelings that he's not like other boys his age. Unlike Jeff, he doesn't find himself checking out the "hotties", and it increasingly bothers him when his Dad keeps bringing up how normal it will be for him to start noticing girls ("Or boys," his Mom adds). But Rick doesn't have those kinds of feelings for boys or girls. He decides to attend the Rainbow Spectrum Club at school, for the LGTQIAP+ community and anyone with questions--- a club for everyone. But he knows he must keep his membership a secret from Jeff.

Alex Gino's story will resonate with every middle grade kid. Their characters are fleshed out and interesting, and the relationships are wonderful--- I particularly love Rick's relationship with his Grandpa Ray. And it's great to see Melissa again, and know that she is being her best self.

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT MY NEW FRIEND

As mentioned above, I love the relationship between Rick and his Grandpa, as they bond over their favorite sci-fi show. It's a delight to see how they become so close to one another. 

Which is something I think Gino does really well. They always have a couple really cool and supportive adult characters that the young characters can talk to and confide in. It's nice to see that represented. 

Gino makes Rick's struggles to stand up to Jeff so real. And the community they have created with the Rainbow Spectrum club is a delight. 

And Gino provides an afterward about the evolving language of the LGBTQIAP+ community or the QUILTBAG+ , depending on which you prefer. I learned things from this book as well, particularly how the idea of being an "ally" shouldn't be a noun, but a verb, something that we do and not who we are. 

TAKEAWAYS

As I have said, this book is important. As more and more hateful bills targeted at LGBTQIAP+ children, and specifically transgender children, we need books like this. I am not exaggerating when I say that representation saves lives. 

Read this book with your kids. And if you know a kid who is struggling, give them these books. 

And if you are a young person under 25 who is confused, needs support, someone to talk to, consider the Trevor Project, and their TrevorLifeline, 866-488-7386, or TrevorChat at thetrevorproject.org

Happy Pride Month. Feel free to comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My New Friend, "PIRANESI" by Susanna Clarke

  Me and my new friend, Piranesi by Susanna Clarke ' Hi. My name is Bobby Keniston, and my only friends are books. So, for example, if I...